19-20 at the start of ARR, about 23 or 24 in Heavensward
Place of birth:
Somewhere in Orthard?? He grew up playing with kids from the Kha tribe
The only child of merchant parents, Ailbe had little in the form of entertainment while they were selling their wares, so he’d go out exploring the surrounding area for the sake of killing the boredom. When they started frequenting auri lands and trading with the Kha tribe he met Oktai, who very quickly became a steadfast friend of his.
Around the age of 8, Ailbe and his parents moved to Eorzea, where they set up permanent shop in Limsa Lominsa. Unfortunately the Calamity happened a few years later, robbing him of the only family he had in these still strange lands. It was then that he met Rhel’wo Maimhov, a miqo’te with a rather grumpy disposition, who would later become his mentor in the Rogue’s Guild and a father/uncle figure that he looks up to.
Due to a hairy incident that happened with a group of pirates several years after the beginning of their partnership they part ways; Rhel’wo flees to Ul’dah where he meets Dusty Rose while Ailbe goes to Gridania after finding out he’s got a knack for the conjuring arts (its also where he meets Rhel’wo’s dad, Rhela’to). Its not until his foray into Sastasha that he meets Rhel’wo again.
Despite all that he’s been through, Ailbe is a humble, down-to-earth person who wants to open up a cafe in La Noscea and cook for his friends.
- while Ailbe speaks relatively normally, the lominsan accent he picked up from his time in the rogue’s guild shows itself when he’s angry
- he loves to gather cooking ingredients when he goes out doing his routine exploring
- he has pyrophobia. An result of something that happened during the calamity. Not as bad as he used to be when it initially happened but being near fire makes him pretty uneasy
- he used to be mistaken for a daughter instead of a son when he was younger, its also part of the reason why he beefed up and grew a beard.
- the scar he has on his lip is the result of rough play with his auri friend Oktai. Oktai still feels bad about it to this day, over a decade later
- he doesn’t actually need glasses to see, he just thinks they look cool